Thursday, May 31, 2012
Call for Submissions: Kwani? Manuscript Project
To celebrate the African novel and its adaptability and resilience, Kwani Trust announces a one-off new literary prize for African writing. The Kwani? Manuscript Project calls for the submission of unpublished fiction manuscripts from African writers across the continent and in the Diaspora. The prize seeks fresh, original work that explores and challenges the possibilities of the novel.
The top 3 manuscripts will be awarded cash prizes:
1st Prize: 300,000 KShs (equivalent to $3500)
2nd Prize: 150,000 KShs
3rd Prize: 75,000 KShs
In addition Kwani? will publish manuscripts from across the shortlist and longlist, including the three winning manuscripts, as well as partnering with regional and global agents and publishing houses to create high profile international publication opportunities.
Winners will be announced in December 2012 at the Kwani? Litfest.
For more information go to: http://manuscript.kwani.org/
• Deadline 20th August 2012.
• Word count 60,000-120,000 words
• Submissions should be adult literary or genre fiction (in the sense of not being ‘children’s fiction’)
• The work should be in English or ‘Englishes’
• The manuscript must be ‘new’ in the sense that it is ‘unpublished in book form’ (we will accept previously published submissions if circulation has been under 500 copies and limited to one national territory)